Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A swim in the ocean!

Well, last weekend was eventful as far as training is concerned.

On Friday, Oslo the dog and I went on a 4 mile brisk walk on the beach. My purpose was to time the walk which worked out to one hour 11 minutes. Not bad for a walk. You see, in August I have committed to participating in a sprint triathlon and the last portion includes a 4 mile run. Since it is the last activity of the sprint, I don't anticipate a run, rather a stroll! So knowing I can at least walk it in about an hour is encouraging.  After our walk, Oslo and I just rested.



On Saturday we, the dog and I, were joined by my husband. So that meant exercise a lot. The day started with a 14 mile bike ride followed by my first foray into the ocean using a swim wetsuit.  Oh, my, goodness!  What an experience. First, I don't mind swimming but the ocean is a bit cold. So the wetsuit was a good idea...but... I could have used a bigger one. It fit and was snug and I was a little worried that I couldn't move in the water but my husband ever the optimist said don't worry it will stretch some in the water.  Ha ha.....
Made it to the beach, got my cap and goggles on and went out into the Pacific. So far so good. After getting acclimated I tried to swim. Bad idea. I couldn't move my arms to swim. It felt like my arms were tethered to my torso and every time I lifted my arm to swim it pulled back just as hard. Needless to say I was getting nowhere fast and getting winded and very tired. I must say I panicked a little. So, there I was in the water, no walls or bottom to touch, can't move my arms and listening to my dear husband say, keep going, don't give up, you're awesome! How cute.   All that was going through my head was swim to shore, give up now while you have a chance and yes I am awesome.  But, I kept going. Slow and on my back most of the time since I couldn't crawl very well. I don't know how far we swam  or how long it took but I was spent afterward.
Not ignoring the dog we took him for about a mile walk after a nice warm shower and change of clothes.


It was exciting at the beach though. After we got out of the water there must have been a huge influx of fish. There were thousands of birds just feeding close to the shore. Looked like a scene from the movie The Birds!  Very neat to watch. Even the sea lions were out snacking away.
The day was a good one. (Yes, I do complain but it helps me get through it).


Thousands of birds feeding right off shore!

Sunday on the other hand was not too bad. The four of us who will be participating in the Fitness Faceoff went for our respective rides in the morning. Don and his riding buddy left for the 55 mile route and I and my buddy went on our 21-23 mile ride.  We did pretty well, about 1 hour and 50 minutes counting stop signs, stop lights and traffic. So I think we are ready for the ride this coming Sunday. I actually can't wait. I will get my first race bib!!! I think I'll frame it. Don did the long route in about four hours! Can you believe it, I am so proud of him.

Well, less than a week to the Faceoff and Team Twinkle Toes are ready. Didn't make my fundraising goal, but we did have some very special people contribute generously. Thank you everyone!!!!!

My next adventure is white water rafting the Middle Fork of the American River in California. Plan on doing that in a few weeks. I am SO excited. And, after that the triathlon in August. That is scaring me a bit.  

Until next week, stay healthy and exercise often!!! (Oh, I did send the wetsuit back for a bigger one!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment