Sunday, June 30, 2013

Race Day!!!!

Before I tell you about our awesome day at the Fitness Faceoff I have to share my Saturday.
Don, I and the dog went on a 4 mile jog along the beach and it took me 53 minutes which is a personal best for me. Makes me think that I can finish the triathlon which is coming up in about one month. The water in the morning was calm and there were just a few birds. We didn't go in right away. About 3pm we finally made it down to the water. Since I don't have my new wet suit yet I used my old Costco one. It was fine.
The water by 3 was choppy and the wind had picked up. It was a bit hard trying to swim and fun in a way because you were either up with the wave or under the wave. I made it about 1/4 to1/3 mile and swam to shore opting to walk back. Don decided to swim back. Little did we know that the tide was bringing in a large school of smelt, I think. The birds came back and all of a sudden there were thousands of birds circling over Don's head. Then spontaneously the birds started to dive bomb for fish!. Poor Don was in the middle of it all. It looked like a Hitchcock movie. It must have been a little much for him because he came to shore. He said he had decided to swim in after he got hit in the head a few times by the birds. While swimming to shore he waded through hundreds of those small fish. He said they were slapping his skin. I am so happy I chose to walk that distance.  I don't have a photo but wish I did. The number of birds was astonishing.

Today was a great day. Got up around 5am and got everything ready for the Faceoff event in San Jose.
Rosemary, my good friend, met me there and helped set up my booth at the fitness fare. At 7:15 am Don and Cong started there 55 or so mile ride. At 7:45 am Tammy and I started our 21 mile route. We did great. We rode for one hour and 35 minutes which is 20 minutes less than the last time we rode. The time includes stop light, stop signs and even waiting for at train. So I think we were super!!. Don and Cong did a personal best as well finishing in less than 4 hours. The weather today was HOT but it was so much fun.

We got to meet a lot of nice people including Brent Burns #88 of the Sharks and Owen Nolan, retired Sharks player. I even ran into Dan Rusanowsky, the voice of the Sharks. Funny how it feels like you know him but he doesn't know you.  The day was terrific.

Pictures posted today are from the Faceoff event.
The next big event is the Triathlon. I plan to keep blogging about my progress.

Me with Brent Burns of the Sharks


Lucky number 406


Tammy and me with our medals


Vanessa and Marissa and me after the race


Owen Nolan and me after the race


No comments:

Post a Comment