Monday, August 5, 2013

Last but not Least!!

It is so weird that the race has come and gone so quickly. I still cannot believe it even happened. I'm afraid I'm still swimming and dreaming that it is over!

Our day started off very good. Weather at the beach was cool and foggy. Everything was wet. The ocean temperature was about 59 degrees.

Don and I got down to the beach around 7:15am and set up in the holding pen area. Got our bikes situated, ready for the transition and put my towel down with my gear ready to grab and go. Next got my racing number marked on my left arm and my age on the back of my left leg. Put my wet suit on and headed to the shore.

We got into the ocean for a warm up, such as that is in 59 degree water. The water was very calm but waves were breaking hard and the life guard had said to watch the sets and prepare to dive under the waves. But that wasn't said until after I went in for my warm up. I got crashed under a wave and was very embarassed that I got tossed around to much in the shallow water. But I learned a lesson and new how to get in properly at race time. We stayed in the water for at least 15 minutes and I thought that was enough.
The first wave started at 8am and the men up to age 24 started strong. 5 minutes later it was turn for men 34 and up and lastly 5 minutes after that all women and teams.

I started pretty well, I must say, and there were a dozen or so behind me but I learned quickly that cold water ocean swimming with adrenline pumping can slow you down. My breathing was a problem. I am not sure if I inhaled water or if it was just the cold but I was crackling with each breath. It was a little scary not being able to breathe comfortably. But I did press on. The lifeguards were so great. They monitor the route and are there for safety and rescue. They gave moral support and encouraged me to keep going. There was one young lady just ahead of me and it looked like she was having an even harder time. But she got her energy going and finished before me by a few minutes.

I kept swimming. The first buoy seemed far and the second one, I swear, was floating further away with each stroke I took.
I made it though and around the second buoy to shore. One thing could be said for being the last swimmer; you get cheers as you walk up the beach to the transition area! Heard a lot of encouraging remarks.

After walking, (I couldn't run), to my bike I took a leisurely 5 minutes to change and catch my breath. Way too long for a transition but hey, I needed oxygen.

Got on my bike and believe it or not it felt really good. My ride went pretty well. My best time practicing the route was one hour 15 minutes and I completed it after the swim in one hour 20 minutes. The bike ride was fun. The hills were tough and I was tired. I couldn't seem to pedal in 3rd gear. I had to stay in my 1st and 2nd gear and at one point was sad that I didn't have even lower gears. But, I made it. All along the route I got cheers from the volunteers and lifeguards and even the Sheriff officers and Highway Patrol who were monitoring the route. Everyone was great, getting me to press on and go faster.


Coming down the hill in Rio del Mar was fun. That marked the end of the second portion of my race. My transition was about 30 seconds and to the shore I went to start my 4 mile run. It turned out to be a four mile brisk walk. My legs just couldn't do the run thing. I was pleasantly surprised by my friend Alison who walked the route with me and on my way back my friend Ramona who tried to get me to run a strong finish. Bless her heart. She tried and I tried but the best I could do was a very slow jog through the finish line.

What a finish! There is something to be said for being last. I got cheers, my name announced and a trophy!!!
What a day.... Glad it is over, so very happy with my time 3 hours and 12 minutes and plan to rest a bit before doing anything else.
My husband plans to do the Santa Cruz Triathlon next weekend and asked me to go too. I can't even fathom that right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment